-->
no
no

How to Freeze Your Vegetables

4 comments


Last week, we had friends from overseas stay with us, and being in Singapore, we always take our visitors on a food feast - roti prata, chow kwai teow, fish soup, laksa, bak ku teh, chilli crab, fish head curry ..... and the list goes on.  Our visitors will never go hungry!  On this occasion I forgot my friends were coming over and bought too many groceries for the week ie. BAD PLANNING. So, the meat and fish went into the freezer, but with the vegetables ... did you know you can actually freeze them instead of throwing them into the bin?  

DIY Frozen Vegetables

Before you put your vegetables into the freezer, they need be pre-cooked, but how long do you cook them for? I had no idea until I came across this extremely useful document on the web. It is a home guide from CPMA (Canadian Produce Marketing Association) on how to freeze fresh vegetables.




I tried to follow it as closely as I could. Here's what I got.


Getting Started

  • Vegetables I had: cauliflower, zucchini and Chinese cabbage
  • Large pot of boiling water (have this ready only when you have finished prepping the vegetables
  • Ladle - a metal one is best
  • Ice bath in large pot (have this ready only after the prep work)
  • Strainer
  • Clean towels [the guide recommends a salad spinner, but I don't have one]
  • Containers for storage

Prepping
I shredded the cabbage, cut the cauliflower into 1inch pieces and cubed the zucchini.




Blanching
When the water was bubbling like hot lava, I put the vegetables into the pot and started the timer according to the guide. 

Shredded cabbage - 1min
Cauliflower - 3 min
Zucchini  - 2 min

Remember you are blanching them quickly but not for too long that the vegetables are thoroughly or overcooked.  The point of blanching is to destroy the vegetables' enzymes which are capable of altering the colour, texture and flavour of the vegetables. 




Note: A metal ladle will be very good in weighing down your vegetables in the pot once they are in the boiling water. It helps to blanch them all evenly.


Chilling
Once time was up, the vegetables were plunged into the ice bath to stop the cooking process.
I left the vegetables there for about 2 min before putting them in a strainer, and even used a clean kitchen towel to shake off excess water





Freezing
The chilled vegetables were placed into containers before freezing. I actually turned the containers upside down with the lid slightly open so I could get rid of any excess water that I had missed.  If the vegetables are too wet, freezing will cause them to stick together and this can be a problem if you want only a small portion to cook with.   I suggest separating the vegetables into portions before freezing. 


Cooking with Your Frozen Vegetables
So far, I have used the zucchini in my tomato spaghetti sauce, and cauliflower in a chickpea curry. No defrosting was needed, and because they were blanched, the cooking time was significantly reduced vis-a-vis using fresh vegetables.  Hubby has given the thumbs up too. Phew!

Have you tried freezing your own vegetables? What tips do you have?



author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

4 comments

  1. let me know how the cabbage goes! I've always only felt safe freezing broccoli and cauliflower ... never the vegs with more water content ... comes out all soggy and tasteless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Agy. Love to freeze cauli and broccoli but like Ruth have never tried the cabage. Must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good post Agy, especially for a vegetarian like myself :)
    I'm curious about the cabbage though......

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very informational. My frozen veggies always look sad after I defrost them. We are avid gardeners and I have a tremendous amount of food to put up. I like frozen veggies for a few reasons. I eat lots of them and I make my dogs food from scratch; she loves veggies with her meat and rice!
    BTW, I am so sorry to have missed out on the "I didn't throw it away" blog postings but now I am a follower so I will not miss any others you start!!
    Ta Ta for now, Cathy the Bagg Lady
    http://raggz2baggz.com

    ReplyDelete

no
no