-->
no
no

Upcycling at South View Primary School

2 comments


Children are very curious creatures - throw anything their way and they will be able to make something out of it. Note, this is provided that the TV and other electronic gadgets are not within their reach!  We all know what happens when kids get hold of gadgets.....

I was honoured to be invited to teach upcycling to the children of South View Primary School's Science Club.  Over the 5 day workshop, forty boys and girls participated in making things from a variety of materials. During the first session, I was very impressed that the kids were well versed with their 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse and Recycle) when I shared Singapore's waste management system. However,  most of them were not too sure what upcycling meant. 





Upcycling is using design to transform waste into an object of higher value

At the beginning of the session, I was quite worried whether they would even be interested in upcycling. To get the kids warmed up to the idea of upcycling, a game of circles was played to highlight the importance of being creative and looking at objects differently. The class was very excited after that!




During each session, the children were taught how to manipulate various materials (ranging from cardboard to fabric) using different techniques and tools. We also analysed their properties and how this affected the way the materials could be used.  The children were allowed to use their creativity and interpret how they felt the upcycled design should be.  I was amazed by what some of them came up with! 




At the end of the workshop, I was sad to say goodbye; we had  bonded over upcycling. I was very touched how a few of them came up to me to give me a hug. I hope they continue to upcycle be it at home or school!

If you would like your school to get upcycling, please drop me an email (greenissuessg@gmail.com).  




author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

2 comments

  1. I love the way kid's minds work, their projects are so cool. Grab them while they are young and they'll make great crafters later on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so believe in recycling and reusing. This sounds like a neat thing to teach to children. Kids definitely need to be taught that you can reuse an item for something else. Love this...

    ReplyDelete

no
no