-->
no
no

Fix It Friday - Are You Scared of the Zipper?

8 comments
arc="https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Q_v7A2bU8dQ/VO6M6tXp3EI/AAAAAAAAJL8/sqIjfFHplHg/s1600/fixzipper11.jpg" title="Repair a Zipper" width="640" />


I am. I'm not very good with repairing zippers or even sewing them but I learnt a new technique from a friend at Repair Kopitiam. But let's look at my zip problem. This usually happens after a year or so and occurs when the opening of the zipper head starts to open up thus releasing the teeth. 


Repair a Zipper

Does this look familiar?

It's my wristlet from jeans! If you are interested in how it was made, take a look at my blog post


One Way to Fix It!



I Decided To Change the Zipper

Repair a Zipper

Masking tape is very useful! Thanks, Chika for this tip.

Repair a Zipper

Unpick your old zip


Repair a Zipper

Choose a zip of suitable length. Mine is from the top that I upcycled in Jan (click here).
Remember to turn your pouch inside out to facilitate the next step.

Using Masking Tape


Repair a Zipper


Once you have decided how long the zip is, unzip the zipper. Take your masking tape and place on one side of zipper close to the teeth.  Do the same with the edge of the fabric where you want the zipper to be.

Repair a Zipper

The masking tape holds the fabric and zipper in place without the use of the pins! Neat idea, right? Once this is done, then you can use either your sewing machine or sewing the zipper on by hand. I did mine by hand.


Sewing on with Backstitch

I would say that it is an invisible backstitch which means I only make a tiny stitch on the right side of the fabric. Repeat with the other side of the zipper.

Repair a Zipper


Repair a Zipper

Tear Away the Masking Tape

Repair a Zipper

And You Are Done!

Repair a Zipper

I think this method would work even if you aren't doing a mend. Would you try using masking tape instead of pins? Thank you to Chika for sharing this with me.


This is part of the Fix It Friday Series!

 Fix It Friday


And don't forget to see what Andrea of Little Did You Know is up to with her mending!

author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

8 comments

  1. This really does work so well! Thank you for sharing, Agy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Kim. I'm glad it works for you :-)

      Delete
  2. This is interesting, seems like it is a gem for hand sewing but not so sure about using this method on a machine?? Neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can still use this with a sewing machine! That's how my friend first taught this method to me. I just prefer to use my hands :-)

      Delete
  3. Ok, this looks so simple. Why have I been scared to attempt something like this? I will be doing this the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great and usefull post! Thank you for sharing at Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing on Two Uses Tuesday! I picked your masking tape zipper fix as one of my favorite picks this week =) Watch for you feature on Tuesday (Monday night).

    ReplyDelete

no
no