-->
no
no

Growing Out the Pixie - Upcycled Tie Headband

13 comments
Upcycled Tie Headband


Before Chinese New Year you will see the hair salon packed with people eager to get their hair cut. I think it is traditional to get yourself all dolled up before the festivities start, and I do believe it has to do with the belief that if you use a pair of scissors on the first three days of the new year you will have bad luck (or something like that!).  Well, I didn't queue up to get my hair cut as I have been trying to grow out my pixie haircut since ....... forever!


outgrowing your pixie haircut


I really love short hair (easy to manage!) but I want to grow it out to another hairstyle. During the festivities I pinned it all up, including the horrible mullet at the back! Oh, and not forgetting to mention the Bieber-looking fringe - it doesn't help me at all. So, I decided to get the mullet cut and Bieber trimmed on the 4th day of Chinese New Year AND do something about growing out my pixie more gracefully.

Upcycled Tie Headband

I read that one of the best ways for a graceful transition is to use headbands. So, I raided my husband's unused tie collection - who wears them in Singapore anyway? 


upcycle ties

 I love these three ties because of their vintage feel. 

Materials and Tools




Step 1 Measure  


Measure head from just above the nape of the neck to where you want the headband to rest at the top of your head. The best thing is to get someone to help you. Take this measurement and minus about 4 inches. . In my case, I measured 23 inches, minus 4 is 19 inches.



Step 2 Cut

Take your chosen tie, measure out length calculated in Step 1 (19 inches according to my measurements), say a prayer, and cut! You can start out from the thin end or from the thick end. It's up to you!




Step 3 Add Elastic

Measure out 3.5 inches of 1/4 inch thick elastic. 
Tuck in ends of the cut tie and tuck about 1/4 inch of the elastic into the tie. I found it very useful to use clothes pegs to hold the tie and elastic together. You could use a pin. 






Step 4 Sew Shut

I used blind stitches to sew the open end together. I also used tiny back stitches to hold the elastic into the seam. If you don't like handsewing, you can always use a sewing machine.




Step 5 Sew Elastic to Other End

To complete the headband, you can unpick the tip of the other end, insert the 1/4 inch elastic and sew shut.  I decided to cut the tip off and repeat Step 3 onwards. Either way, make sure the stitches are secure!


Note: You can make TWO headbands out of one tie! No wastage please :-)


upcycle ties


Step 6 Wear with Pride


upcycle ties


I think I can now officially say that my pixie haircut can now grow out gracefully without a mullet (or a Bieber!) in sight! 

How do you grow out your pixie?

Electronic Heart Beat Headband 

I also made an electronic version too - check out the tutorial here. Which do you like better?



Just to add, I am having a series of workshops this month and next. Click here to find out more!

author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

13 comments

  1. This is so cute! I love how it turned out, now I just need to steal a few of my husbands ties and get to work ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! Yep, and the amazing thing is the patterns on the ties are lovely!

      Delete
  2. I live this upcycle- off to raid my husbands ties!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute idea! My hair is long but I think it would look cute with long hair, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool, cute idea! It looks great, and is a simple craft job that even I could handle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tutorial, and such a cute headband!! I love your pixie, but I'm sure you'll look lovely with long hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love headbands. What a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cool idea! I love headbands and my daughter always wears them. This is a great way to personalize them and I think (dare I say it) that I can make it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those headbands are darling! I wish I could sew. We are always getting rid of worn out ties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool! I used to make headbands just like these when I was a tween. I would use old christmas ribbons or braided fabric from old t-shirts. Your tie ones came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute is this! I love this! I'm going to share this with my tween. I think this is a perfect afternoon thing to do with her. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

no
no